Thank you for your interest in Rockingham Beach Education Support Centre.
We accept applications year-round. We’re very flexible with enrolments to ensure your child gets the support they need sooner rather than later. As such, there is no application period to enrol them into the Centre. Simply review the information below to get started.
Everything you need to know
Applying to our special needs education school in Rockingham is easy. All the key information is available online – including our handbook, our programs, contributions and charges, booklist, uniforms, canteen and transportation.
Our intake area isn’t restricted. However, the school bus to school only caters for students living closest to the campus.
Your child’s eligibility
Our Education Support Centre offers enrolment to students aged 4 to 11 in the following categories:
- students with a diagnosis of Intellectual Disability
- students with a diagnosis of Global Development Delay
- students with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder and a demonstrated high educational need
- students with demonstrated high educational need – they may enrol for up to one year with the expectation that they return to or enrol into their local school after this time
- students with a diagnosis of a Severe Mental Disorder and demonstrated high educational need that cannot be met at their local school
- students with a diagnosis of a Physical Disability and demonstrated high educational need that cannot be met at their local school.
Where we’re unable to accommodate a child, we facilitate their enrolment at another school with appropriate teaching and learning adjustments for their needs.
Your introductory meeting
All parents and carers are required to arrange a free no-obligation meeting and orientation with the principal.
This gives the opportunity for us to:
- answer all your questions and conduct an intake interview
- discuss your child’s specific needs and goals
- review all assessment reports from specialists
- determine possible programs available
- make recommendations for the way forward
- give you a tour of the Centre while school is in session
Please bring copies of medical, psychological and educational reports to your appointment. These documents will help us determine whether your child is a suitable candidate.
The enrolment process starts with a Request for Approval for Enrolment in an Education Support Facility form which our principal will help you complete. This form must be signed by the child’s primary parent/guardian, local school principal (if applicable) and our principal.
The School Psychology Service must also endorse it. If the child is returning to their local school upon completion at our program, then the Regional Executive Director is also required to endorse the form.
Don’t worry, we will get all of this done on your behalf. We’ll also help you complete the forms as some can be a bit complex.
Documents to provide
The following materials may also be required:
- For Global Development Delay: a report from the diagnosing paediatrician which has been completed in the six months prior to the start of kindy
- For Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis: the reports from the speech therapist, psychologist and paediatrician
- Eligibility letter from Disability Services Commission
Once your application is complete, you will receive an offer of enrolment from our principal. In their letter, they will inform you that your child is eligible for enrolment, and invite you to complete additional forms required to enrol your child into Rockingham Beach ESC.
Once your child is enrolled, the principal and teacher works with you to implement a transition plan to ensure a smooth adjustment.
Transition is organised at a pace that is comfortable for your child. This helps to eliminate the stress when adapting to a new environment, new teachers, new routines and a new program. We do this by inviting your child to attend some of our classes and gradually increase the hours until they feel ready to attend full time.
Reviews are conducted:
- based on regular monitoring and review of educational need
- at the end of kindy and Year 3
- for students with Global Developmental Delay prior to the end of Pre-Primary
- at key transition points
Your child’s teacher will communicate with you directly to organise a meeting date and time for any Parent-Teacher meeting to discuss your child’s Individualised Education Program.
Do you have a question about enrolment?
There are many ways we assist to ensure a stress-free enrolment. Please call the Rockingham Beach Education Support Centre on 9528 2912 for assistance.